Terry's Birth Story


Just to let you know my baby has arrived earlier than expected .... About 3 weeks earlier Smiling face with smiling eyes. My mucous plug came away last Tuesday and by Thursday morning, I started to feel early contractions which intensified throughout the day and by 5:30pm, I was in full blown active labour. By the time we got to the hospital at 7pm, I was fully dilated and ready to have the baby. They didn't have time to move me to another room so I delivered in the triage room.I was grateful for a very skilled midwife come on duty when I arrived (18 years experience) and she really supported me through correct breathing technique so I directed my energy properly to pushing my baby out, correct positioning to minimise tear and baby was delivered naturally at 8:26pm on Thursday 21st April 2016 weighing 2.56kg.

I only had Entonox which mainly helped regulate my breathing and my husband Kurt was a rock and a great supporter through this whole experience.The preparation I did with Gowri, Gail and the team definitely helped me with a quick labour and delivery with minimal complications.I only had a small 1st degree tear which was sutured and I lost only 250ml of blood despite my fibroids.I stayed overnight in the hospital - grateful we managed to get our own room but the toilet was a walk away which was fine too so it encouraged me to move a little and prevent any clots. I did have trouble passing water at the beginning which they wanted to pass a catheter in my bladder which I refused and luckily after 3 hours of discomfort, I was passing urine about every hour.

Next day, I got Annette to come in to help me with the breast feeding and I was discharged at 4pm the following day.Baby and mummy recovering at home at the moment - doing the 30 day confinement period at home according to Chinese Culture mixed in with a little Gentle Birth 1st year recovery philosophies Smiling face with smiling eyes. The Chinese way forbid a woman to shower or wash their hair for 30 days so I'm just doing wipe downs and cleaning my bottom area every day.Baby feeding very well and passing good poos and wet nappies. Exclusively breast feeding and breast seems to be producing good amounts of milk.

Vagina area slowly healing but perineum still sore. Have a 3rd degree haemorrhoid from the delivery which I hope will settle in time. Just using Anusol to try to shrink it. Cleaning the area with salt solutions and witchhazel.

Grateful my husband works from home so he's been a real support and my mother-in-law has been cooking food for us and getting herbs in to make me detox teas and strengthening soups.

Also, I only finished my last day in clinic the Friday before so essentially I only had 1 week of maternity leave before Matthew came instead of 4 which I had planned. And even then, I still feel strong in myself, I'm recovering quickly - able to sit, squat and cross my legs on day 4 post delivery. The preparation definitely paid off.So all in all .... All good progress and great outcome!!

Terry Loong