Creative Healing During Pregnancy
Creative Healing was introduced into the programme as a result of the obvious need for the lower back, sacrum and coccyx (together with the muscles associated with those areas) to be extremely mobile and free from congestion to facilitate a gentle birth. Therefore, throughout pregnancy, Creative Healing treatments focus mainly on the spine, pelvic area, sciatic areas and sacrum, because the health and mobility of these areas are directly related to the birthing process. However, as birth is a function of the whole body, the Jeyarani schedule of Creative Healing has been developed to align the energy flows in every system of the body. Therefore, Creative Healing treatments for the heart, liver, lungs, pancreas and gut are included at relevant times during the pregnancy.
Creative Healing treatments used during pregnancy include:
- General Treatment (lymphatic drainage): The most important aspect of Creative Healing is general lymphatic drainage. This is done on the upper back, middle back and sacrum and is offered throughout pregnancy. Especially important is pelvic lymphatic drainage, which drains excessive tissue away from the central part of the pelvis and increases the space within the pelvic area, thereby making more room available for the baby’s head to fit into the middle of the pelvis for birth.
- Abdominal Toning: good for digestion and assimilation of food – vitally important to maintain the health of the mother and baby.
- Pancreatic treatment: excellent for improving digestive function. As well as insulin, the pancreas secretes important enzymes to complete the digestion of food. The symptoms of pregnancy associated with the digestive system such as nausea, heartburn, abdominal bloating and constipation improve after a pancreatic treatment. Note: In our programme the pancreas is specifically treated between 32 – 36 weeks to prevent gestational diabetes from developing, as the placental hormones might suppress maternal insulin responses around this time.
- Liver treatment: helpful in stopping nausea and vomiting. These symptoms seem to relate to high levels of circulating tissue toxins that clog up the liver and slow down its detoxification mechanism – a liver treatment can clear these symptoms.
- Heart treatment: given in early pregnancy, (to help it cope with the mother’s increase in circulatory blood volume), and before delivery (as the cardiac muscle will have to work quite hard during the birth process). The heart treatment also helps to calm any anxieties and fears that a pregnant mother may have.
- Hiatus hernia: helps reduce the feeling of nausea during pregnancy.
- Back and spine treatment: helps alleviate backache and assists the whole function of the body. May include the neck treatment, if needed.
- Thyroid treatment: helps increase the mother’s energy.
- Kidney treatment: the kidneys excrete excessive tissue fluids, so it is important that they function well.
- Spleen treatment: helps immunity.
- Sacrum drainage and sacro-iliac treatment:
- Decongests the pelvis and loosens the sacro-iliac joints, ensuring that the sacrum is able to move and mould as the baby drops down. This greatly reduces the second stage of labour (the pushing time).
- Treats constipation.
- Sciatic treatment – Treats the classic symptoms of sciatica.
Note: It is possible for your partner, (or a friend or local therapist), to do some of these Creative Healing treatments on you at home. Details on how to do them can be found in our book, The Gentle Birth Method month by month programme and they are also available in DVD format.